Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist
P.O. Box 6189
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Campus Mailstop: 9741
Fax: (662) 325-8989
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Kent State University
- Ph.D., Kent State University
- Postdoctorate in Applied Statistics, Department of Statistics, Mississippi State University, 1982
- American Psychological Association
- Southeastern Psychological Association
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Applied multivariate statistical methods; psychometrics
- Outcome prediction applied in national vocational rehabilitation systems
- Roles of individual differences in personnel selection and in health delivery systems processes
- Impacts of disability, including visual impairments, on vocational rehabilitation employment outcomes
- Applied experimental social/personality psychology
- Crudden, A., Giesen, J. M., & Sui, Z. (2018). Contrasting competitively employed and unemployed VR applicants with visual disabilities: Characteristics and VR service delivery patterns. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 49(1), 117-126.
- Giesen, J. M., & Lang, A. H. (2018). Predictors of earnings enabling likely roll departure for SSDI beneficiaries with visual impairments in vocational rehabilitation. Journal of Disability Policy Studies.Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1177/1044207318780363
- Giesen, J. M., & Hierholzer, A. (2016). Vocational rehabilitation services and employment for SSDI beneficiaries with visual impairments. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 44(2), 175-189.
- Giesen, J. M., & Cavenaugh, B. S. (2013). Disability insurance beneficiaries with visual impairments in vocational rehabilitation: Socio-demographic influences on employment. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 107(6), 453-467.
- Giesen, J. M., & Cavenaugh, B. S. (2012). Transition-age youth who are blind in vocational rehabilitation: A new look at competitive outcomes and services. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 106(8), 475-487.
- Cavenaugh, B., & Giesen, J. M. (2012). A systematic review of transition interventions affecting the employability of youths with visual impairments. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 106(7), 400-413.
- Giesen, J. M., Cavenaugh, B. S., & McDonnall, M. C. (2012). Academic supports, cognitive disability, and mathematics achievement for visually impaired youth: A multilevel modeling approach. International Journal of Special Education, 27(1), 17-26.
- McDonnall, M. C., & Giesen, J. M. (2012). Project H.I.R.E.: An online employment preparation program for college students who are blind or visually impaired. Insight: Research and Practice in Visual Impairment and Blindness, 5(2), 111-122.
- McDonnall, M. C., Cavenaugh, B. S., & Giesen, J. M. (2012). The relationship between parental involvement and achievement for students with visual impairments. Journal of Special Education, 45(4), 204-215.
- Field, J. R., Bergiel, B. J., Giesen, J. M., & Fields, C. L. (2009). Effects of branding on taste perception. Competition Forum, 7(2), 325-331.
- Moore, J. E., Steinman, B. A., Giesen, J. M., & Frank, J. J. (2006). Functional outcomes and consumer satisfaction in the Older Blind Independent Living Program. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 100(5), 285-294.
- Cavenaugh, B. S., Giesen, J. M., & Steinman, B. A. (2006). Contextual effects of race/ethnicity on vocational rehabilitation acceptance of legally blind consumers. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 100(7), 425-436.
- Giesen, J. M., & Cavenaugh, B. S. (2006). Evaluation in the Older Blind Independent Living Program: Advantages of a structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 100(8), 482-487.
- Moore, C., Giesen, J. M., & Cavenaugh, B.S. (2005). Latino VR access rates by disability type and proportions in the general population with disabilities. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling, 36(2), 25-32.
- Warren, P.R., Giesen, J. M., & Cavenaugh, B. S. (2004). Effect of race, gender, and other characteristics of legally blind consumers on homemaker closure. The Journal of Rehabilitation, 70(4), 15-20.
- Giesen, J. M., Cavenaugh, B. S., & Sansing, W.K. (2004). Access to vocational rehabilitation: The impact of race and ethnicity. Journal of Blindness and Low Vision, 98(7), 410-419.
- Steinman, B. A., Cavenaugh, B. S., Giesen, J. M., Moore, J. E., Warren, P. R., & Looby, E. J. (2003). Strategies for delivering VR services to minorities with visual impairments: An evaluation of Title I State Plans. Journal of Rehabilitation Administration, 27, 15-24.
- Giesen, J. M., Looby, E. J., & Cavenaugh, B. S. (2001). Cultural-racial identity and outcomes of African American consumers who are blind. Eighth Annual Conference Proceedings of the National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns, 72-76.
- Moore, J. E., Giesen, J. M., Weber, J. M., & Crews, J. E. (2001). Functional outcomes reported by consumers of the independent living program for older individuals who are blind. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 95, 403-417.